Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Boricua and the "Ship"





Hello everyone. This morning I had the pleasure of hearing Governor Aníbal Acevedo Vilá of Puerto Rico speak to us. His speech was amazing as he shared his thoughts on America’s relationship with Puerto Rico (a commonwealth of the U.S for those that do not know), and his desire to maintain P.R. traditions despite past U.S. “assimilation” attempts. I recorded the speech and I will probably want to share it with you when I return (at least the first 10 of you, after that I’m done, first come first serve). Archbishop Tutu was there as well as a large amount of press. Afterwards I was talking a walk before we were allowed off of the boat and into our first stop-- PUERTOOOO RICOOO. I bumped into The Governor’s Spanish speech to the press. I was about 1 of 2 students there (I was what you say “fazed,” or in my own little Governor world), listening to him speak about the connection he feels with this program and how happy he is to be a part of it even if it was just for 11 and a half minutes (but who’s counting?). Afterwards I shook his hand and thanked him. He shook hard and looked me in the eyes. I think he expected me to say something and I could’ve said anything, English, Spanish, immigration, ESL, anything. Of course though, I was “fazed.”

I just got back from a nice long walk around Old San Juan. I had a great lunch, filete de pollo con plantains y arroz, y que bueno la comida es en Puerto Rico!! The people were beautiful and nice, but, it’s a “port” city, lots of tourists. Tomorrow, I go to Ponce, about 26 minutes on the other side of the country to a place of what I am told is great beauty. It is a spiritual place which holds the “oldest cemetery in Central and South America,” who knew? Friday- La playa (the beach).

The food is great, and it’s in abundance sooo who woulda thought but I am actually “working out.” Ok that’s a lie. But I am doing the elliptical machine now and then. Life is good and beautiful. I feel blessed and it will be crazy to get off of a boat of buffets and into countries where people are starving, not crazy but very real, it will be extremely sad. So far I have had two classes, African American Lit. and a Theater course. It feels great to be around students who are like me, who are eager to learn and study (most of them..).

Naturally I miss Philly. I miss all you guys, my friends, my family, Cleo and Rosa. But, somehow, it’s not nearly enough to make me feel homesick in the least. Everyone is so nice, friends are easy to find. I wish I had some juicy story about how terrible the uhhh whatever was, but the staff is nice, the ship (its not a boat, its not a boat, the captains have been saying again and again) is just spectacular with a pool and a library and it is kept incredibly clean, along with our rooms where our beds are made everyday. So far Ronaldo has made my bed more times this week then I have made mine at home all year.

As far as reflection goes, I haven’t had much time for it, that is why this blog is good. I just hope that I am able to take things day by day, take what I have learned and infuse it in a way that will really make a difference one day. Every speech we have received, the readings we did on the first day of classes (we’ve only had one day so far of class as I said) have all pushed me a tiny step further towards, well, I’m not sure, towards something greater then I am and that is beautiful. Until we meet again adios amigos y amantes de aqui en Puerto Rico (la cuidad de hombres bonitos haha).

PS- For my Uncle Brad I changed the layout of the blog as you can see. Hows baby Sarah??

2 comments:

sireynolds said...

thanks for sharing this! I feel like I'm there with you.
May your Spirit continue to soar and grow as you move forward on this Journey.
love, Mom

Ms. J said...

Uncle Brad and others who are having trouble with the layout. I am working on it.